Purpose of the Annual Meeting
Approximately once a year, when IMA is holding the international or a regional conference or meeting, the Board of Directors call the members to attend a general business meeting of the Association. This is done to report to the members, to seek member approval of changes, such as to the Association By-Laws, or to elect new members to the Board of Directors. Below are the minutes of the most recent general membership meeting.
INTERNATIONAL MENTORING ASSOCIATION
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING
Friday, March 19, 2010 - 12:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER: Dr. Joseph Pascarelli, President
- D. Pascarelli called the meeting to order at 12:15 p.m.
Adoption of March 6, 2009 Annual Meeting Minutes
- President Pascarelli asked everyone to read through the 2009 Minutes.
- Larry Carroll, Executive Director, Center for Professional Excellence at Elmhurst College and IMA Emeritus Director, moved that the Minutes be accepted
- Barry Sweeny, President, Best Practice Resources and IMA Emeritus Director, seconded the motion
- Motion approved
Adoption of March 19, 2010 Agenda
- Larry Carroll moved that the 2010 agenda be approved
- Joe Allred, Director of Mentor Training at MPRI, seconded
- Motion approved
Announcements and Introductions:
Treasurer’s Report: Cheri Lay, Secretary/Treasurer
- Financial Report and Budget: Lay first addressed the IMAs 2009 Profit and Loss Statement which ended the fiscal year with a balance of $26,038.46. There were no comments or questions.
- The next item was to go over the 2010 Projected Profit and Loss Statement. Lay explained that several expenses had been reduced to more closely align with actual expenses. In addition, less income from memberships was being projected for 2010. The projected 2010 budget is $32,609.46. There were no comments or questions.
Membership Report: Cheri Lay
- Lay indicated there were 149 current members, compared to 147 a year ago at this time. The total number of members for 2009 was 222. Lay reported that with the Membership folders and forms in each conference folder this year, several people had joined and they were thanked.
Nominating Committee Report: Tom Ganser
- Tom Ganser provided a brief overview of the process for the election of directors.
- Applications sought; checked for concurrent 2-year membership qualification; telephone interviews were conducted; nominating committee presented the slate to the board; membership votes on those applicants at the annual meeting. Directors serve a 4-year term with several expectations of them during that time.
- There were four nominees this year and each spoke for a few minutes about why they wanted to become directors of the IMA and what their qualifications and visions were for the organization. The nominees were: Nora Domingues, University of New Mexico; Mark Melanson, Colonel, Walter Reed Medical Center, Meenalochani Narayanaswami, a mentoring consultant with Mind Tree, Inc., from Bangalore (India), and Barry Sweeny, emeritus director and president, Best Practice Resources.
- Ballots were distributed, collected, and counted. Tom Ganser announced that all four nominees had been unanimously elected.
New Business/Other Issues – Joseph Pascarelli
- President Pascarelli announced that the following directors were retiring.
- Tom Ganser and Carmen Carter had both served the maximum of 8 years; Gary Kilburg served 4 years but because of other mentoring initiatives at his college, felt he could not adequately serve the IMA and elected not to seek a second 4-year term. Fran Kochan had recently announced that she was stepping down during her first four-year term for personal reasons.
- Joe commended them all for all their hard work, initiatives, and commitment to mentoring and the IMA. Plaques with certificates of appreciation were distributed to those present. Those not in attendance would have their plaques mailed.
- Joe announced that he was stepping down as president because, although he had retired from the University of Portland, his consulting business was taking him all over the world and he was busier than he had ever been. He went on to say however, that he planned to remain very involved with the association. He announced that Dr. Linda Coy had been elected the new president and Karen Posa elected president-elect at the board meeting on Tuesday.
- Linda Coy thanked Joe for his leadership skills and direction and welcomes his continued involvement.
- Nancy Bourke, International Education Consultant and IMA Director, moved that the meeting be adjourned
- Brenda McIntosh, Executive of Personal and Career Coaching and IMA Director, seconded
- Motional approved
- President Pascarelli adjourned the meeting at 1:15 p.m.